Thursday, May 10, 2007

random acts of kindness and how quickly things can change

i was still exhausted in the morning class. i sat out a few postures and tried to shut my pride up and just accept that i was tired and i did want i needed to do for my body. after class, i went to starbucks to study for today's presentation...2 girls i know only well enough to say hi in passing were there having lunch. although i do not know them and they do not know me, they saw me studying and told (not asked) me to come over and study with them. one of the girls is in my group, so she knew that i was having some trouble with the presentations. she sat there for 45 minutes, with her friend, helping me with my presentation. and because of that, i had a good presentation today. it felt good, the whole group cheered really loudly for me. i haven't talked to either of the girls since, but i am grateful for their kindness. it's strange (although it should not be, and perhaps what is really strange is that i find this strange) how a bunch of strangers (to varying degrees and none a total stranger) can find time and energy everyday to keep tabs on each other. i don't mean any serious personal investment, just general respect and looking out for a fellow human being...

the evening yoga class was very hard - hot and humid (redundant) and taught by the teacher who likes to keep you extra long in all the difficult postures. BUT, i set my mind to it and i had a good class. plus the random kindness. plus the good presentation. i had a good rejuvenating, optimistic, healing day (i hope i'm not sounding all new age-y).

i guess i had one of those very subtle insights that ever so softly shows itself for a fraction of a millisecond - it was at starbucks. i sat there alone, studying...and i realized that alot of people from the program who were also visiting starbucks knew my name, would say hi to me and talk to me. i realized for the first time in a long time that people notice me. that i am here. present. and that i am connected to the people around me. that i am interconnected to everything around me. that i can act and cause a reaction. that i can react from another person's action. it seems so stupid, trivial, elementary - but it was an important realization for me today.

i feel good right now as i get ready for bed. and tomorrow when i awake, i will try my best to attempt and to accept my choices and myself and where i sit (literally and figuratively)....i am falling asleep writing this...

No comments: